- 2.5 kg eating apples
- 800kg caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- Peel, core and finely chop the apples. (If you can get through this bit, you are well away!!!!)
- Place them in the slow cooker and turn on to high.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, salt and spices until well mixed.
- Pour the sugar mix over the apples and thoroughly combine. Put on lid and cook for 1 hour.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 8-10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and turns a dark brown.
- Remove the lid and cook on high for 1 hour. Stir with a whisk to make it smooth.
- Spoon into warmed, sterilised jars and seal with tight lids.
This recipe needs to be started early, so it can be put in jars in the evening. The apple chopping took me about 20 minutes.
Once opened, keep refrigerated.
Serve on toast, scones or rice pudding.