- 175g butter
- 450g mixed, dried fruit
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- 175g brown sugar
- 200ml Guinness
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140C. Grease and line the base of a round cake tin.
- In a large pan, mix butter, dried fruit, orange zest and juice, sugar and Guinness and slowly bring to the boil, stirring, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 mins.
- Cool for 10 mins, then stir in bicarbonate of soda, to make the mix fizz up a little.
- Stir eggs into the pan then sift in flour and spice, mixing it all well.
- Pour into the tin, smoothing the top with a spoon and sprinkle with the almonds and brown sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 1- 1½ hours, then cool for 15 mins before turning onto a wire rack.
The Guinness in this cake gives it a nice rich flavour.
Instead of mixed dried fruit, you can use a combination of any dried fruits really.
I am not a fan of candied peel, so I often use raisins, dates and sultanas.