- 300g basmati rice
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 400g can kidney beans, drained
- 100g dried mango, chopped
- 3 large thyme sprigs
- 1 large red chilli
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine or cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 100g roasted cashews
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place the rice, uncooked in a large pan and add the coconut milk, then, fill the can with water and add that too. Turn on the heat.
Stir in the kidney beans, mango, thyme and the whole chilli. Cover and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a jug, mix together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar and onion and leave to soak until the rice is ready, so the onion will soften a little.
- Remove the rice from the heat and leave, covered for 5 minutes to steam. (This will prevent the rice from clumping together.)
- Mix the nuts and chopped herbs into the dressing and, after removing the thyme and chilli, pour over the rice.
- Remove the seeds from the chilli and finely chop before adding to the rice. Carefully mix it all together making sure all the rice is coated in the dressing. Serve hot or cold.
This is so easy to make and tastes zesty and fresh. I was really surprised how lovely it was.
It can be made as a main course, or as a side dish for BBQ’s as something a little different. (Hence serves 4-8)