- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g gammon joint
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200ml white wine
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 400g tin butter beans, rinsed
- 400g tin mixed beans, rinsed
- 4 small potatoes, halved
- 200g peas
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Remove any string/packaging from around the ham, put it in the saucepan and cook on both meaty sides, until browned. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Return the gammon to the pan, pour over the white wine and allow to sizzle for a few minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, pour over 400ml water and season. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the gammon joint, cut off any fatty rind, cut the meat up into pieces and put these back into the stew.
- Make sure it is heated through and serve.
This is a low fat dish and is very filling. You can serve it with crusty bread to fill it out for 4 people.
The recipe could be transferred to the slow cooker from step 3. Just halve the amount of water added and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
This freezes really well for up to 3 months.