- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 400-500g lean casserole steak, cubed
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 150 ml thick beef stock/gravy
- 200 ml port
- 150 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- Heat olive oil and butter in a frying pan, add onions and cook for 5 mins until softened.
- Add cubed beefsteak and cook until browned all over. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, stock, port and orange juice and cook for either 6-8 hours on low setting, or 3 – 5 hours on high setting.
- To thicken, turn the cooker up to high, mix corn flour with a little water and stir into the stew. As it begins to boil again, the stew will thicken.
- Serve with veg and potatoes of choice.
This recipe can be made in a casserole dish in the oven on a low setting (eg 120C) for 5-6 hours.
This is a stew recipe that can be doubled in quantity and frozen. Just leave to cool and divide into freezer bags.