- Pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 25g butter
- 25g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp Cassis
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 200g crumbly goat’s cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tbsp double cream
- Butter 4 small loose-bottomed tart tins.
- Divide pastry into four and line the tart tins, pressing it in gently and cutting off the remaining pastry.
- In a pan, heat the butter, add the sugar, vinegar and Cassis and stir until combined.
- Add the onions, bring to the boil, lower the heat to lowest and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- In a jug, mix together the egg yolk and cream and add the goat’s cheese. Set aside.
- Divide the onion jam between the tart tins and bake for 10 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and divide the goats cheese between the tins, spreading it on top of the onion jam. Bake for another 10 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the tins and carefully place on the plate.
You can make a larger quantity of the red onion jam and use it as extra at the side of your tart. (Like I did, because it’s tasty x)
You could also serve with rocket, which makes a nice garnish.