- 200g self-raising flour
- 100g vegetable suet
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 150 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 6-7tbsp strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Butter a large sheet of greaseproof paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt and suet together. Slowly mix in the milk to make soft dough.
- Tip onto a floured surface and knead for a few minutes. Roll it into a 22cm by 32cm rectangle.
- Spread the jam over the top leaving about a 2cm border all the way round.
- Roll up the dough from the short end and transfer onto the greaseproof paper.
- Wrap the paper around it loosely (leave room for it to expand) and do the same with tin foil, tying the ends like a cracker.
- Put it on a rack in a roasting tin and fill up half way with boiling water. Put in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Unwrap, place on a plate and serve with either custard or ice cream.
Don’t worry if the jam has oozed out a bit, it will make it all the more tasty.
You may try any type of jam you like for a variation.