- 300g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 4 tbsp of curry paste/powder
- 85g raisins
- 850ml chicken stock
- Chopped coriander to serve
- Soak rice in warm water for 20 mins, then wash under cold until water runs clear.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan and cook onions with bay leaves, cardamom pods and cinnamon stick for 10 mins.
- Sprinkle with turmeric, then add chicken and curry paste/powder and cook for 5 mins.
- Stir rice into the pan with raisins and pour over the stock, cover with lid and bring it to a hard boil.
- Lower heat to minimum and cook for 10 mins. Turn off heat and leave for 10 mins.
- Stir well and mix in coriander. To serve, scatter over a little more coriander.
I often cook up a whole chicken to use during the week, so I made this with cooked chicken, stripped, and also used the stock from that, mixed with bought stock.
This is great for 2 people. If you leave the rest till the next day, you can add some lemon and mayonnaise to make a coronation chicken and rice salad.