- 175g plain or wholemeal flour
- 100g porridge oats
- 100g butter
- 100g grated carrot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 red onions, sliced
- 3 beets peeled and grated
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml milk.
- Heat oven to 160C. In a food processor, pulse flour, oats and butter until it forms a breadcrumb texture. Add carrot and mix until it forms a ball.
- Roll out pastry on a floured surface and line a flan dish or loose-bottomed tart tin. Then chill.
- Gently fry the onions for about 15-20 mins until beginning to caramelise.
- Place the beetroot in the chilled pastry case and cover with the onions.
- Whisk eggs and milk together, season, and pour over the onions and beetroot.
- Bake for 50 mins, lowering the temperature to 140C after 15 mins.
I loved the carrot pastry and it was so easy in texture to roll out.
You can use normal onions rather than red if you prefer.
A nice variation is to put some slices of goat’s cheese on top of the onions.