- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- 350ml double cream
- Heat oven to 140C. cut a 15 inch round of grease proof paper, and place on a flat baking tray, or stone round.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form, then add sugar a little at a time until it looks glossy. Whisk in vanilla, corn flour and vinegar.
- Spread meringue on greaseproof, to a dinner plate size and make the sides higher.
- Bake for 1 hour , then turn off the heat, leaving it to cool completely inside the oven.
- When meringue is cool, in a small processor, put in 100g of strawberries and2 tbsp of the icing sugar and blitz to a puree.
- Whip cream and remaining 2 tbsp icing sugar until it thickens and spread in the meringue.
- Place remaining fruit on top of the cream and pour over the sauce.
You can make this a couple of hours ahead and chill in the fridge.
You can add more strawberries if you like and some other red berry fruits on top.
Also works well with raspberries!