- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 400g tins plum tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp dried basil or oregano
- 100g reduced fat crème fraiche
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions and carrots for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, crumble in the stock cube and sprinkle in the herbs. Bring to the boil.
- Turn down to low heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a blender and blitz until smooth.
This is a great recipe if you are watching the calories, as it does not compromise on taste.
It is also a great starter fro a dinner party as it tastes quite light and can be made in advance and heated up.