- 175g caster sugar
- 175g rhubarb, halved and diced
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml buttermilk
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarb of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g brown sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 25g porridge oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g butter
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Stir rhubarb and sugar together and set aside whilst making crumble.
- Mix together dry crumble ingredients and then rub in butter with fingertips until clumpy.
- Add oil and egg to rhubarb and sugar mix and stir. Then add flour, baking powder and bicarb and combine well.
- Spoon into the cases and scatter a thick layer of crumble over each one.
- Bake for 20 mins until golden and spongy.
My hubby was reluctant to try them at first, as he claims he doesn’t like rhubarb, but exclaimed “I like it in cakes like this!” I took that as major success!!!!
I may try making these with other fruits, like apples, pears and gooseberries.
If you do, let me know what they are like?