- 285g self-raising flour
- 150g vegetable suet
- 160g dates/raisins
- 85g caster sugar
- 250 ml milk
- Butter a large pudding basin really well.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the milk gradually, to make sticky dough.
- Spoon mixture into the pudding basin and flatten the top.
- Cover with foil, loosely fitted, and place in a large saucepan and add boiling water to half way up the basin. Turn heat down to a simmer.
- Put the lid on the pan and steam for 2 hours.
Most people associate Spotted Dick with custard. I was brought up in a northern household, where we put butter and brown sugar over the top……my fave x
If there are only 2 or 3 of you, the recipe is easily halved, but use a small basin x