- 1 kg lean unsmoked gammon joint
- About 16 cloves
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Worcester Sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 100ml maple syrup
- Place the gammon joint in a pan and add boiling water to about ¾ way up the gammon. Boil, cover, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the gammon and place in an oven proof dish. Heat oven to 160C.
- With a sharp knife, carve diamond shapes into one side of the joint and insert a clove into each.
- In a jug, mix together the soy sauce, mustard, Worcester sauce, sugar and maple syrup. Carefully pour half over the joint so it fills the cracks and coats the diamond cuts.
- Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove and pour over the rest of the glace. Place back in the oven and roast for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, remove cloves if you prefer and carve.
If you buy a joint with the fat rind on, after simmering in the pan, remove the rind of the fat and carve into the remaining fat.
The glaze and cloves infuses throughout the meat and is great cold the next day.