- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped.
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tsp Moroccan spice blend
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
- 10g fresh mint, finely chopped
- 500g lean lamb mince
- 8 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- Heat1 tbsp oil in the pan and fry onion for 5 mins until softened.
- Add garlic and spice and cook for a few minutes more.
- Spoon half of the onion mix into a bowl and set aside.
- With remaining onions in pan, add tomatoes, sugar and seasoning and simmer for 10 mins until reduced.
- Meanwhile, add the lamb, mint, apricots and breadcrumbs to the bowl of onion mixture and mix well with you hands (The sticky bit) Shape into little meatballs.
- Heat rest of oil in a large frying pan and fry meatballs until golden.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and gently cook until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve with pitta bread and coleslaw
I used red onion and red cabbage in the slaw, but normal onion and white cabbage go just as well with carrot.
For a lower fat slaw, instead of mayonnaise, I always use less fat salad cream!
* This is suitable for freezing if there are only two of you.