- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 150g frozen peas
- 140g carrots, 1cm cubes
- Small bunch chives, finely chopped
- 250g tub cream cheese
- 50g Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 packs ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil and fry the onions over medium heat for 5 mins.
- Add carrots and peas and cook for 15 mins more, stirring regularly. Leave to cool for 10 mins.
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, Gruyere and chives and season well.
- Add the veg mixture to the cheese mix and combine well.
- Heat oven to 180C. Spread out the pastry and cut out 4 x 15cm circles and 4 x 16 cm circles. You may have to re-roll it a couple of times.
- Put the 15 cm circles on baking sheets/trays. Spoon ¼ of the filling in the centre of each circle and leave 1½ cm round the edge. Brush the edges with beaten egg, then lay the bigger circles on top, pressing them to seal.
- (At this stage, they can be frozen, by gently wrapping in cling film, then foil.)
- Brush them with beaten egg and bake for 20 – 30 mins until golden.
This recipe really surprises me at how tasty and moist the filling is.
If you are not vegetarian, you can add meat of your choice to the recipe.
I added 5 chopped bacon rashers, but chicken or turkey would do just as well.