- 140g butter
- 100 ml brandy
- 300 ml milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 150 ml double cream
- Heat the butter in a pan and simmer until it goes a nutty brown colour. Remove from heat straight away and add the brandy.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan but do not let it boil.
- Pour over the milk, still whisking, then return it to the saucepan set over a low heat. Stir for about 3 or 4 minutes with a wooden spoon, until it starts to thicken enough to coat the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks. Fold in the brandy butter and the custard mixture.
- Pour into a tub and freeze for several hours, or over night.
- Take out of the freezer 20 minutes before serving.
This really does taste like brandy butter.
When serving, put the ice cream scoop under the hot tap for a few seconds, so the ice cream doesn’t stick to the scoop.