- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup water
- 50g caster sugar
- 185g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 cups oats
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a square tin with baking parchment.
- In a saucepan, combine the dates, water and caster sugar and warm up over a medium heat. Cook, stirring regularly for 10 minutes until the dates have soaked up the liquid and gone very soft. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and mix well. Add the oats and mix well.
- Press half of the mixture into the prepared tin, pressing it down evenly with your fingers.
- Spread the sate mixture over the top, then, gently press the remaining oat mixture over the top of the dates.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and cut squares, whilst still hot.
- Cool completely in the tin. When cooled separate into the 16 squares.
These are very yummy and moist and a bit like date crumble. I love them!!!
They keep in an airtight tin for about 5 days.