- 375g mixed, dried fruit
- 50 ml whiskey
- 250 ml strong cold tea
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed ground spice
- 125 g brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- Put the fruits into a large bowl with the tea and whiskey. Mix well, cover with cling film and leave for at least 3 hours. (Best if left overnight)
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease and line the base of a loaf tin.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spice into a bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the middle and beat in the egg, then, add the fruit and liquid and stir in until well combined.
- Pour into the tin, smoothing the top with a spoon and bake in the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 mins before turning onto a wire rack.
This is such a lovely moist cake that tastes even better if you leave it to mature in an airtight tin for a couple of days…….. I managed to wait 1 day, then I couldn’t resist!!!!!
Try a slice with butter.