- 450g parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 115g canned chestnuts
- 25g butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying.
- In a saucepan, gently boil the parsnips for about 20 mins until tender. Put in a large bowl.
- Drain chestnuts, place in the pan and boil gently for 5 mins. Add to the parsnips and mash well.
- In the saucepan, melt the butter and cook the garlic for 30 secs and then mix into the mash.
- Put egg in one bowl and the breadcrumbs in another. Take a small amount of mash at a time, form into croquettes and dip first in the egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs and set on a plate.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the croquettes, turning every couple of minutes so they brown evenly.
If you don’t like chestnuts, these work perfectly well with just parsnips.
They make a refreshing change from roast parsnips.