- 250g chopped stoned dates
- 100g raisins
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml brandy or rum
- 140g butter, softened
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Zest of 1 orange
- In a saucepan, put the dates, raisins, milk and brandy/rum and bring slowly to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens and the liquid is absorbed. Leave to cool.
- Butter a large pudding basin.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add the flour, mixed spice, orange zest and date mixture and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into the pudding bowl.
- Cover with foil, loosely fitted, and place in a large saucepan and add boiling water to half way up the basin. Turn heat down to a simmer.
- Put the lid on the pan and steam for 2 hours.
Once cooked, you can cover the pudding with clean foil and keep for a week.
Re-steam the pudding for 1 hour before serving.
If there are only 2 or 3 of you, the recipe is easily halved, but use a small basin.