- 800g Lean lamb leg, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tbsp mild curry powder
- 3 tsp ground allspice
- 4 cloves, crushed/ground
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- Put the lamb in an ovenproof casserole dish with the thyme and season with salt and lots of black pepper. Stir to mix well and leave for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 160C.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently cook the onion, garlic and chilli for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, allspice, cloves and 5 tbsp cold water. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes, then, put the mix in with the lamb.
- Add the tomatoes and treacle and refill the can with cold water and add. Put on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Cover and put in the oven. Cook for 2 and a half hours until lamb is really tender.
- Serve with rice of your choice.
This can be put into a slow cooker at step 6, but only add a third of the extra water.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.