- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 400g lean, fresh beef mince
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g mature cedar, grated
- 200g red kidney beans, drained
- Heat the oil on a frying pan and fry the onion and chillies gently for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Place the minced beef in a large bowl and break it up. Add the breadcrumbs, onion and chilli mixture, beaten egg, cheese and kidney beans. Mix it all together thoroughly.
- Divide into four and shape into thick rounds. Place them on a baking tray.
- Cook the burgers on a BBQ, for 6-8 minutes each side, until cooked through. Keep the heat medium so you do not char them, OR bake in an oven at 200C for 20 minutes.
I don’t recommend frozen mince as it generally holds too much water to stick together.
This is a good recipe freezing un-cooked for another meal, if there are only two of you.